Sunday, June 26, 2016

'Enough tears to flood a village'

Sad farewell at the Akita airport as the kids make their way to Tokyo.


And at 11:25 last night, one of the chaperones posted this: "We are off to Tokyo. The students left behind wonderful memories and enough tears to flood a village. Tokyo tower this evening."


Another chaperone posted this photo of the students' view of Tokyo, taken from the 18th floor where they're all staying.

I decided to email the picture of B and his host family at the farewell party to his host mom yesterday. We've been having a bit of an ongoing electronic conversation since B arrived. She almost immediately replied.

"It was a great time hosting your son, B. He went to Onsen with his host father after the farewell party. My husband seemed soooo happy. On the other hand, my son, Shinichi, couldn't stop crying before he goes to bed. He didn't want to miss his big brother, B. My daughter is also feeling sad now.

Spending time with B was so precious that we don't want to miss. I hope he comes back to Japan, or comes here again with you and your family. I also hope to visit you in America.

I have to apologize one thing. When my daughter ate jelly with chopsticks being lazy finding a spoon, B was trying to eat it with his chopsticks. We actually use spoons to eat something like jelly, ice cream, yogurt and so on.;) I hope he didn't take it as the Japanese way of eating;)

Again thank YOU for letting B come to Japan. I hope to see him again. Please keep in touch."


Sounds like he has an open invitation to return. And how cool would it be to show his host family around Chicago some day? I'm betting there was, or will be, tears at the airport when he leaves for Tokyo. I'll have to mention the chopstick vs. spoon thing to him. It's funny how their 13-year-old daughter wouldn't get up to get a spoon, though. I can relate to a 13-year-old who doesn't want to do everything she should.

No comments:

Post a Comment