Thursday, December 20, 2012

Last batch


Andy's at his company's Christmas party tonight so the kids and I made the last batch of cookies - the decorated ones! B always does the bells, and L likes to decorate the Christmas trees, but when I called for her to come into the kitchen to help, she didn't so B did them all ... except one. Can you tell which one L did? Where's the quality control, kid?


L's usual job is putting the white sprinkles on top of the red stockings we make, but the stocking cookie cutter broke last year and we haven't yet found a replacement. I think the tin of cookies definitely needs something red in it so I guess I'll keep looking next year. I still use Mom's old recipe:

Sugar Candy Dough

1 c. butter
1 ½ c. powdered sugar
1 egg
1 t. vanilla extract (**I always use almond extract)
2 ½ c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cream of tartar

Mix butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in large mixer. Blend in remaining ingredients on low to soften dough, scraping constantly. Refrigerate until well-chilled. Roll out onto floured surface and cut with cookie cutters. Bake at 375 F. until edges are light brown, about 10 minutes. Decorate as desired.


Meanwhile, E finished her final exams at school today and left the house after dinner to have a sleepover with her friend, A. No school for either of them tomorrow. I was hoping she'd be home in time tomorrow to go to L's chorus concert with me, but I have a feeling she won't be up early enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment