Friday, October 4, 2013

Saturday in New York City


This is the view of New York City from the ferry we took to the Statue of Liberty. The tall building is the new Freedom Tower built near the World Trade Centers that were attacked on 9/11. It's 1,776 feet tall.


After our late arrival back on the bus, we went through the Lincoln Tunnel to get into New York City. I had to take a picture of the parking lot situation with cars stacked on each other. Land is obviously in high demand.


For lunch, we stopped at the Hello Deli, which is famous from "Late Night with David Letterman" show. Rupert, the owner, was working so that was a bonus. Here's mom giving Rupert her lunch order. I'm pretty sure most of the people in our group had no idea who Rupert is, but Cindy and I both posed for a picture with him. Of course, now I wished I had purchased a Late Night coffee mug.


Our big outing of the day was going to see "Mama Mia" at the Winter Garden Theatre on Broadway. After the show, the cast came out and answered questions for our group. It was interesting to hear that the actors are union members. The show was great but I was surprised at how much smaller and less ornate the theater was compared to the ones we frequent in Chicago. The good thing, though, was that the seats are closer to the stage. I bought a beer for a whopping $13. The cup was refillable and the next one would have been only $8, but I didn't buy any more.


After our talk with the cast, we happened to see where they left the theater and signed autographs for fans waiting in front of the theater.


That night we had dinner at Ellen's Stardust Diner. Cindy and I skipped out on dessert to do a little souvenir shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment