Thursday, September 13, 2012

Surgery


Andy took me to Ressurection Hospital this morning for my 12:30 p.m. surgery. The nurses told me I was "hearty stock," had a nice smile (thanks for the braces!) and good blood. The gown they made me wear hooked up to a heater that blew heat onto my legs. They had me write my initials on my arm so they cut into the right one. Andy and I were joking last night whether we should mark the arm that needs to be operated on. Weird what you remember. The anestegiologist told me to breathe deeply, it's only oxygen to start. I think I took four breaths and the next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery feeling like someone had put a hole through my hand.

Back in my room, the nurse took out my IV (waxing my arm in the process) and gave me water, apple juice, saltines and graham crackers. I hadn't had anything to eat since 10:30 p.m. Wednesday and those graham crackers were delicious. I'm instructed to take vicodin every four hours and rest, keeping my arm elevated and iced. Oh yeah, and don't do anything around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment