Friday, September 7, 2012

7 stitches


Today started out really well. I got grocery shopping done. I put away the folded laundry and had a load of clothes in the dryer. I got a $10 Sears gift card in the mail for complaining online about a Kmart incident and I got to the high school to give E her golf cart before the team bus left for the meet.

But then it all came crashing down when B got home from school and asked for some Kool-Aid. I held a glass against the ice maker and simultaneously opened the fridge to grab the Kool-Aid pitcher. A water bottle fell toward me and I went to grab it (because if it broke I'd be cleaning up a pool from my kitchen floor). I guess I pushed against the glass I was holding and crash. Somehow I got most all of the broken glass and my bloody hand over the kitchen sink.

Once I ran some water over it I knew it was deep. I called for B to get me a clean towel and for L to call Andy. Blood was spurting out (later told I severed a vein). Andy left work right away but because Friday rush hour sucks more than other days, didn't get home for a half-hour. We went an immediate care center and they were able to see me right away. Well, right after seeing my insurance card and having Andy sign a stack of papers. They cleaned it up and gave me 7 stitches after talking to a hand surgeon who will see me on Tuesday. The doctor said a tendon might be cut, but she wasn't comfortable working on that. I wasn't able to move the top tip of my thumb. Now it's wrapped up so tight I couldn't move it if it were working.

The good (?) news is that the nurses said I'm "on vacation" and shouldn't do anything - at least until Tuesday. E was at a golf meet when everything happened. Allison stopped by after work to sit with L and B, who feels particularly bad because I was pouring the drink for him. We ended up ordering pizza for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment