Saturday, October 6, 2018

Busy retreat day


This is what three girls can do to a room in one night. At least they've settled in.


After breakfast there were planned activities. The kids did some crafts ...


... while the adults took a fun quiz on our worship styles.


After lunch everyone was free to do whatever they wanted. It was a cold, rain on-and-off kind of day so Andy and I skipped walking to the lake. The girls went and said it was windy. We drove the girls to a nearby orchard where they bought a couple little pumpkins.



I would have bought one of these apple gourds if I had any idea what to do with it other than set it out for a decoration.


On the way back to camp the girls wanted to stop at a couple of antique stores. We found this OPRF Booster Club glass there. Kind of interesting, we thought.


My big find, though, was my china! I happened to look into a corner and there on a shelf was my china. I thought the two serving bowls would be useful, but I didn't need another gravy boat or 11 more cups and saucers. I asked the store owner how much the bowls would be and she showed me that they wanted $50 for all the pieces. When I told her I only wanted the bowls she asked me what I'd give her to take it all. I said $30 and she accepted.


So, I walked out with the two serving bowls, 11 cups and saucers, a small platter, a large platter, a gravy boat and 12 soup bowls. We didn't have any soup bowls. Probably because I don't serve soup. I suppose if I want to serve soup now, I'm all set.


Back at camp, a few of the members took a nature walk. A woman who is a microbiologist collected these fungi and was telling us all about them. First rule - do not eat mushrooms you find outside.


After dinner everyone met in Schrag for games. We answered trivia questions.


Or at least we tried too. We called our team "one bar" because we could only get one bar of service on our cell phones. We would answer trivia questions, then do an active game. Our team lost.


And the finale, I had to defend my title as champion tower builder. We tied with another team but once time ran out, we were able to stack two more cups on top. Had we done that with time remaining, we could have won that activity at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment