Sunday, November 9, 2014

B's meatballs


B has been watching Saturday morning cooking shows with me and one of the shows we regularly critique is "The Pioneer Woman." I checked one of her cookbooks out of the library and was getting ready to return it when B found a recipe for rigatoni and meatballs he wanted to try. I'll step aside anytime my kids want to cook for me. This is a long process. It started by baking French bread to make your own breadcrumbs. Who seriously does that? We started that at 4 p.m., hoping to get dinner on the table by 6 p.m. That was optimistic.


This was the worse part of cooking for B. He had to wash his hands (of course) and mix the meats, crumbs, eggs, etc. to make the meatballs. His sensory issues kicked in and he had to turn the chore over to me. Too squishy for him. Look at his face. It looks like he's being tortured! He did scoop out the meatballs while I rolled them and put them on a cookie sheet. Then we had to freeze the meatballs for 15 minutes - then cook the meatballs in small batches - then make the sauce - cook that for 30 minutes - then add the meatballs and cook the rigatoni. We finally sat down to dinner at 6:50 p.m.


Looks good, right? We decided the meatballs were good (L deemed them "delicious)") but it certainly isn't worth three hours to make dinner. We have a lot of meatballs left over so we'll freeze those for a future quick meal, but after that I think we'll be back to the frozen meatballs and Ragu sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment