Wednesday, November 17, 2010

High school ... already?

Andy and I had our first of what promises to be many parent meetings at Oak Park-River Forest High School tonight. We saw a gospel duo perform, listened to students answer questions that were asked by eighth-graders when they previously toured the school, heard general information about the registration process, and watched a short video on student life. We did learn the school has 3,200 students (more than when Andy was a student there), covers 1 million square feet and encompasses an entire city block. I think they said the school has 75 activities for students to join. The list of classes is comparable to a small college. E is set on taking Japanese - who would've thought?

Andy and I skipped the tour part of the night (he's an alum, after all, and I saw enough of the school when I was covering it as a reporter) and went for a nice dinner sans kids. E was at home babysitting - working off what she owes me for her Wicked ticket.

E visited the high school earlier tonight with the entire Julian eighth grade. When I asked her how it was, she commented on the pool (she's not looking forward to swimming in gym class) and that she met a junior student who was shorter than she is. E takes her placement exams the first Saturday in November and we'll get her class assignments early next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment