Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Tales kids tell

When L came home from school today she told me her teacher would be emailing me because she happened to mention that her grandpa was in Antarctica and brought us home a big chunk of ice. Huh?

Sure enough, I got an email from her teacher: "L is interested in bringing to school the hunk of ice that either her Grandpa or Great-Grandpa brought back from his visit to Antarctica. Is there any way you can email me a picture of it because it is hard to bring to school? Thanks! Mrs. K"

The closest I know of her grandpa being in Antarctica was when he was in the Army stationed in Buffalo, N.Y. And great-grandpa? The little girl must be having visions. I resisted my urge to email Mrs. K back and tell her that L flat-out lied and dreamed up the whole story, so I told her she must have gotten confused because grandma went to Alaska a few years ago. She never brought us ice though. And what kind of souvenir would that be anyway? I'm hoping L's imagination pays off someday. Apparently, she's quite convincing, too. Maybe she can use that to her advantage.

She did get down to business on one of her homework assignments - to write a poem about an animal. I don't think it's due for a few days, but was surprised to see her so excited about homework. This is what she wrote:

An octopus eats fish

Octopus, octopus, I see you sitting in the sea catching fish with no care.
Using camouflage so you won’t get eaten. You use your suction cups to hang upside down,
Catching fish for lunch.

By L

No comments:

Post a Comment