Thursday, August 18, 2022

Surprise in the mail

A woman in Staunton posted on Facebook in March that she found these items in her house and she'd like to send them to a family member. A friend notified me and I said, if no one else wants or claims the items, I'd take them. Apparently no one else claimed them as they recently arrived in my mailbox. (She also posted old pictures she had found but I didn't know who was in the pictures. Someone else in town did, so I assume they got the pictures). There are two songbooks in German, the smaller black one belonged to my paternal great-grandfather and the larger one belonged to his wife, my great-grandmother.
The woman also sent a metal box that had miscellaneous hospital bills ($12 a day for a room in the early 1960s), a soldier's conduct guide, death certificates and probate papers. The soldier's guide is funny. This basically says you can't all be handsome but you can all have good hygiene.
And as a former editor I loved this. Most Americans only know one language so let's speak correctly. Agreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment