Saturday, October 15, 2016

Busy Saturday

Mom and Cindy came up yesterday for a visit and today was jam-packed. We had to go to PetSmart so Cindy could buy some Halloween toys for her dog. Can't go away for the weekend and not bring him a treat, I suppose.

Here's picture time:


Mom with L and B ...


and me with Mom.

In the afternoon, Andy, Cindy and I went out to tour a few local sites that were on Chicago Architecture Foundation's Open House.


First we went to Pleasant Home. When I was reporting, I was there a lot, usually visiting the Historical Society's office. I did get to see lots of rooms I never saw on my visits to the Historical Society. Andy had never been inside. Here he is in the main hall.


One of the volunteers turned on this machine which she said was similar to what the juke box eventually became. It was quite loud and quite a crowd gathered as it played.


Andy and Cindy both took turns trying their luck on the slot machine that was on the stairwell. One of the previous owners of the house invented coin-operated machines. We parked in the garage at Vantage, a new apartment building, and toured the Nineteenth Century Club. Not too much to see there. Then we headed to Vantage where we were toured a one-bedroom apartment on the fifth floor. I think the rent was $1825 a month and parking would be another $125. (Our mortgage is less). Prices go up as you get on the higher floors.


The fifth-floor common areas were nice. Here we are on the balcony grilling and sitting area. It was nice. The funniest part of the day had to be when L, Cindy and I made a quick run to the Jewel and Cindy dropped a bag of pink tortilla chips on the floor. The closure popped open and there were chips everywhere. Wish I had a picture of that.


And then we took Mom up on her offer to take us all to dinner. We went to Forest Park for some Italian food. Here's Cindy, Mom and Andy with their salads.

No comments:

Post a Comment