Thursday, September 1, 2011

Surprise visitor

Andy and I had just finished clearing the dinner plates when the phone rang. B answered and handed it to E. Next thing I heard, she said, "Let me check."

"Can my math teacher come over?" she said.
"When?"
"Now."
"Uh, I guess so."

About three minutes later, her math teacher, Mr. G, was standing at our front door. He came inside and we chatted for about 20 or so minutes. (Good thing I vacuumed that afternoon.) Nice guy. Lots, I mean lots, of energy. It was nice to meet him. He said he's been home visits, voluntarily, for years. He also gives students his home and cell phone numbers in case they have any questions with their homework. His goal, he said, is to keep the lines of communication open between the student, their parents and the teacher. His website even asks, "Have you hugged your kid today?" Aw.

Of all her teachers, the ones I have heard the most about are Mr. G and her Japanese teacher.

When E came home from school today, she said, the Spanish class next to her Japanese class was playing music. Her sensei (teacher) said, "You all should have taken Spanish. They have fun in there. In Japanese, we have no fun." Sarcastic, I presume, but the kids got a chuckle out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment