Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Caterpillar transformation

I found this Monarch caterpillar and brought it inside Sunday, July 10. It was so tiny I wasn't sure it was alive but by Monday morning it ate a couple of holes in the milkweed leaf so I brought in a new leaf for it.
Friday afternoon, July 22, I noticed it had made its way to the top of the container!
By Saturday night, July 23, it was in its prepupal J-shape. It's getting ready to shed its skin for the last time.
I've been sending the girls daily updates on its transformation and E replied with this pretty gross sentiment.
When we left for church Sunday morning, July 24, the caterpillar was still hanging in iys J-shape. When we got home two hours later, it had shed its skin and made a pupa. Now to wait for a butterfly to emerge!
An up-close shot of the gold crown, the diadem, on the pupa. So cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment