Tuesday, September 22, 2026
Back home
I left Darla's Monday morning for my drive back. The temperatures took a deep divee and it was a bit drizzly most of the way home. This was leaving Worden. I like to see the corn!
I had to stop at Avanti's in Normal to get gondolas for dinner. I could have driven back Sunday but Avanti's is closed on Sundays, and I didn't think Darla was too tired of me yet, so I stayed. It was a better drive with overcast clouds than it would have been on Sunday.
I veered off of Main Street/Illinois 51 to find Route 66 in Normal so I could see Sprague's Super Service station. I saw the Route 66 sign and the service station was just beyond it.
It is in a part of Normal north of the campus area so in all the years I was there for school, I never knew where Route 66 was. During my time I think the station was out of business and likely an eyesore. It was purchased in 2006, fixed up and listed on the National Register of Historic Places two years later. It's now owned by the Town of Normal and is a local landmark too.
It was neat to see though I didn't go inside where there's a gift shop and visitors center.
Unpacking at home, I almost forgot I picked up these seeds from a U of I Extension Service booth at the honey festival we stopped at. I put three kids through U of I, the least I can do is take their freebies. The cats grabbed the jar opener, though, and chewed it up.
Yikes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment